The government has called upon social media companies to take “much swifter action” in tackling “crackpot” conspiracy theories linking 5G networks to the coronavirus pandemic, after a number of mobile masts were set on fire over the past week.
Authorities have received several reports of criminal damage to phone masts and abuse of telecoms engineers inspired by baseless online theories, with culture secretary Oliver Dowden set to discuss the issue with several tech firms in the coming week.
Masts in Birmingham, Liverpool and Melling in Merseyside have all been targeted in recent days, while Vodafone told the BBC it had recorded four incidents over the past 24 hours at both its own sites and those shared with O2.
Warning internet users against “crackpot conspiracy theories circulating online”, a spokeswoman for the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said: “Those responsible for criminal acts will face the full force of
The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has disrupted supply chains and international trade with more than 100 countries closing national borders to curtail the spread of the deadly virus, which has infected more than 2 million globally.
The pandemic has weighed on corporate profit margins and impacted economic growth. Notably, the UN warned that the global economy could shrink up to 1% this year with 22 million people filing for unemployment in the past month in the United States, a reversal from its earlier prediction of 2.5% growth.
Moreover, social media companies are witnessing spike in conspiracies related to coronavirus, including misleading or inaccurate claims, false testing methods and fake cures at an alarming rate.
This has prompted tech giants like Facebook FB, Twitter TWTR, Alphabet’s GOOGL Google, Microsoft MSFT and Apple AAPL to develop tools that are helping people stay connected in a secured way.
At a time when fake news
EXCLUSIVE, UPDATED, 11:15 AM: Jeffrey Katzenberg has always loved a good scrap, and the Quibi kingpin came out swinging Tuesday after being officially named a defendant in the ongoing and competing lawsuits over the mobile platform’s Turnstyle technology.
“With its amended complaint, Eko’s desperation and the weakness of their case are more transparent than ever,” said a spokesperson for the Meg Whitman-run Quibi to Deadline this morning, after we broke that Katzenberg and several Quibi staffers had been added to the Eko’s suit alleging patent infringement and now breach of contract.
More from Deadline
“No new facts are alleged and it seems designed only to try to score more publicity,” Quibi went on to say, with an always present eye to media perspectives and coverage.
“Eko can revise, recut and redo their tortured arguments all they want, but the shakedown won’t work,”
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.